Fun game to watch as a Sox fan, lots of offense, seeing several different pitchers that you will be seeing in the majors this year, and Pedey having a great day out there.
Red Sox News
- David Price felt great in his aggressive bullpen yesterday. Cora said he will start game 2 of the exhibition games in Arizona against the Cubs and will go as deep as he can to prepare for the regular season
- Cora told the media that Feltman is a good one, but has some delivery issues that need to be cleaned up
- While some had speculated that Darwinzon Hernandez could make the opening day squad, after walking 3 batters on a tight rope act in his inning yesterday, that could have pushed him back down to being a starter in Portland this year.
We did not see Moreland or Pearce today at first, but instead the Brockstar! He has been all around the diamond this ST, and first was yesterday’s assignment! Swihart was catching again, which is a great sign that he will be making the roster!
The Sox doing what the sox do best: Scoring quick! Benny single, Mookie single, Devers then grounds into a double play, but they still push across the first run of the game! After two innings they went with top prospect Darwinzon Hernandez for the third. He was a little wild: having three walks. I would say he was nibbling the corners and was super close for several of the walks. He worked out of a bases loaded jam: getting Kiermier to ground out to second base to end the inning with no score!!
In the third they had a crazy inning. JBJ got on base when the SS booted it, Swihart singled, Benny fouled out to the catcher, Mookie grounded out to the SS, Devers came through though with a bases clearing TRIPLE which was super close to going out: hitting off the top of the wall. JD then hit a ball of the monster to drive Devers in. Bogey and Brock both singled and then it was 5-0 Red Sox! The best part came here: Pedroia came through with a single up the middle, making it 6-0 Sox!!!
In the fourth something weird happened. Blake Swihart comes to the plate. The Rays, who yes are some of the most analytically inclined teams, put FOUR outfielders on him! This has happened a few times to other people in the past few years: Joey Gallo, Khris Davis, Bryce Harper… BLAKE SWIHART??? The first three names there are like legit power hitters, not a backup catcher trying to win a job out of ST. Anyways… Rant over. In the Sixth inning Pedroia singled, JBJ got this perfect bunt down the LF line, except it wasn’t a bunt and it was a check swing, but he got a hit out of it to put two on, which is cool. Fitzgerald then TRIPLES to clear the bases to make it what turns out to be the final score of: 8-0 SOX WIN.
SOME PITCHING UPDATES
- Matt Barnes came into the fourth inning, casually struck out the side. He really looked good, curveball a great swing and miss pitch.
- Thornberg dominated the first guy he saw with a K on four pitches, but then walked three guys. Not good. He did narrowly escape it with another K to end the inning.
- Brewer came on in the 6th and was awesome: Striking out the side! He did allow a weakly hit single to the shortstop, in which the batter barely beat out the throw. With Bogaerts there, he might not have allowed the single.
- Durbin Feltman came in to close out the game and had a really quick inning and a K to end the game!
Final Box Scores
Pedey going 2-3 with an RBI was great to see, Barnes being masterful, and Brewer with 3 K’s is so encouraging! Opening day come faster!
Stay tuned and i’ll catch ya tomorrow. Talk to you then 🤙🏽
Header Photo Curtesy of Red Sox LA (Instagram Link)