A win!! Wow, these feel good! Especially against the best team in baseball so far this year!
- MICHAEL CHAVIS HAS BEEN CALLED UP!!! Some have Chavis ranked as high as the number one prospect, but almost everyone have him at least in the top 3. While he is primarily a corner infielder, he has been taking reps at second as of late and he takes the place of injured Eduardo Nunez.
- LINSANITY: in a surprising move, Lin AND Chavis have been called up. We knew one of the two would be called up, but with Pedroia hitting the IL and Nunez also, both have been recalled from AAA.
While the box score might not have Eddy Aces out there pitching well, he didn’t have great defense behind him, and several bloop shots were what got to him. A botched ball from Devers would have prolonged his outing at least through six with only 2 runs. Allowing a solo shot to Brandon Lowe, and then an RBI triple to Garcia in the next inning; the Rays got out to a 2-0 lead early.
The Red Sox did remember to pack their bats on the trip to Tampa! The Sox regained the lead in the fifth when Devers hit an RBI double, and then Christian Vazquez with ANOTHER dinger to put the Sox on top 3-2! That is Vazquez’s fourth homer of the season so far, already topping last years mark. His career high for a season is only 5 and Vazquez already has four! Who would have thought that Vazquez would be tied with JD a month into the season!!
An inning later and the Sox would tack on another run making it 4-2 with a JD single up the middle! The Sox strike out three consecutive to leave two on in a bit of a squander. In the bottom the frame is where Dever’s botched play comes into play. After Eddy allows a single to Meadows, a well struck ball just clanked off the heel of Dever’s glove in which could very well have been a double play. Both runners come into score on a Robertson double down the left field line. 4-4 after 6.
The top of the 8th is where the bats did really shine! Betts took one of the Ray’s relief ace’s deep 424′ to strait away center. Moreland then comes up to the plate and goes BACK TO BACK pulling a ball to left!
Final Score: 6-4 RED SOX
- MOOKIE MIGHT BE GETTING HOT: with a double and a HR, Mookie might have regained his swing again!
- Vazquez is starting to swing it well again this year
- Lin hit a single in his first AB back in the majors
- Barnes came into the game in the 8th to face the heart of the Ray’s lineup and got a 1-2-3 inning with 2 Ks!
- Brandon Workman came into the game and struggled with his command again, walking two in an inning and two thirds.
- As young as Devers is, he still needs to concentrate on actually catching the ball before making his move to get the double play. Head down and secure the ball.
Final Box Scores
Best thing about baseball is how it’s played nearly everyday! Today’s game is at an earlier time than usual staring at 6:10 PM ET featuring Rick Porcello and newly signed Charlie Morton! Stay tuned and I’ll tell you all about it. Talk to you then 🤙🏽
Header Photo Curtesy of @BostonStrong_34