- Eovaldi underwent the successful surgery to remove his loose bodies from his pitching elbow. If all goes as planned, he will begin a throwing program in two weeks to rebuild his pitching strength. He was out exactly two months from the time of surgery to back into games. Nate did say that last year they were playing it extremely cautious because he was still recovering from his TJ as well.
- Darwinson Hernandez has been called up as the extra man allowed for the double header. He made his major league debut and pitched two and a third innings of scoreless ball, scattering four hits and walk. He was replaced by another hurler making his major league debut ⬇️
- Sox optioned Bobby Poyner and recalled Travis Lakins for game 2. Lakins made his major league debut relieving Hernandez and pitching quite well himself! Two and two thirds innings of one run ball and looked great doing it. The one run did not prove to be costly as the Sox lost by two runs anyway.
Important Moments GAME 1
Sale got off to a great start with 6 Ks over his first three innings, and the Sox gots scoring in the bottom of the third as well! Vazquez, who DH’d, took a walk, and Lin who was showing bunt the first pitch, lined a double down the line! After a groundout to the third baseman by Leon and a tapper to the pitcher from Benny and the second and third situation with no outs was looking dire: Mookie changed that though! Mookie hit a single through the left side to make it 2-0 Sox!
Detroit does get a run in during the fourth after a walk, stolen base and then a double scored him. Grinder took Sale deep to lead off the fifth. It was definitely a mistake pitch, 90 MPH and middle middle. Hembree takes over in the 6th and immediately gives up a long dinger. 3-2 Tigers. Hembree couldn’t even get out of the inning and Thornburg has to come in to get the third out.
But guess what happens in the 6th? XANDER PUTS ONE OVER THE MONSTER!!! TIE BALL GAME!! Thornburg did finish really strong with 2 Ks over his inning and a third of work. Brewer takes over in the 8th but can’t get the job done. Allows two baserunners to get on, then with 2 outs, allows a two run double to Josh Harrison: 5-3 Tigers. Then allows another single bringing Harrison in: 6-3 Tigers. Poyner gives up a run also. Xander put one off the light tower again in the ninth to tack one more on, but they still fall in game 1.
Final Score: 7-4 Tigers
IMPORTANT MOMENTS GAME 2
Velazquez got off to a great start with three strong innings, but the Sox kept getting doubled up in the first two innings. In the bottom of the third, the Sox finally got a rally together loading the bases but bogaerts popped out to end the threat. In the fourth inning, Velazquez got in a jam and was pulled in favor for Walden. Walden enters the game with the bases loaded with only one out, and he allowed a bases clearing double just past the outreached glove of Devers.
The Sox got two on again in the fifth AND sixth innings and couldn’t push anyone through. The Sox have had every chance to be up in this game and just can’t get that clutch hit. Travis Lakins made his major league debut and did great. Pitched a couple solid innings! In the 7th inning, The Sox did push across a run, and in the 8th, Chavis hit his first major league dinger, and it was a MAMMOTH shot! Way out of Fenway. 3-2. Lakins did allow a run in the ninth on a double making it 4-2. You can’t strand 13 runners and expect to win a ball game. In the bottom of the ninth, JD did get on but no one even got him to second.
Final Score: 4-2 Tigers
- Chris Sale still was not his dominant self, only pitching 5 innings. He did strike out 10 and only allow the two runs though. He is trending well, and hit 95 on the gun.
- Bogaerts with 2 homers, looks to be hitting a groove!
- Hernandez and Lakins both had their major league debuts combining for 5 IP of 1 one ball, and was just great.
- Chavis hit a MOONSHOT over the monster for his first ML dinger! Check it out ⬇️
- As @RedSoxStats pointed out on twitter: “Barnes Brasier Workman Walden 42 IP, 11 ER, Everyone else in the pen 47 IP, 39 ER” … Yikes. That was after game 1.
- Game 2: Sox offense couldn’t push across a run to save their lives, 13 stranded base runners. YOU. JUST. CANNOT. DO. THAT. Moreland and JD both left SIX runners on base. That just can’t happen
Final Box Scores GAME 1
FINAL BOX SCORES GAME 2
Best thing about baseball is how it’s played nearly everyday! Stay tuned and I’ll tell you all about it. Talk to you then 🤙🏽
Header Photo Curtesy of Red Sox LA (Instagram Link)