WHAT. A GAME… WOW. JUST WOW.
- BREAKING NEWS: Starter Nathan Eovaldi has been placed on the IL after an MRI showed “loose bodies” in his pitching elbow. Nate told reporters that on Friday morning he could not even straiten his arm. They are looking at either a cortisone shot, or the more likely scenario would be minor surgery. The positive side is that this is apparently a pretty easy procedure. Eovaldi actually underwent this exact surgery last year about this same time. He was out exactly two months, but Nate himself said they took it extremely slow because he was coming off his second Tommy John. He expects to be back sooner than 2 months if all goes all planned.
- Mitch Moreland exited the game after two at bats experiences back spasms. They officially have him listed as day to day, but we will definitely keep you updated if an IL stint is needed.
After two walks and a single to load the bases in the second, Leon comes to the plate and gets HIT by the first pitch to walk in a run! Benny comes to the plate next and CLEARS THEM ALL OFF WITH A GRAND SLAM!!! 5-0 RED SOX! Looking totally like the 2018 Sox of old, what a great sight to see.
The Rays did hit s few mistake pitches off Porcello, getting a HR and then two triples: making the score 5-2 after four innings! In the bottom of the fifth, Porcello got into a bit of trouble walking one, and then hitting Austin Meadows. The very next pitch he gets the ground ball to Devers for the 5-3 double play! It was a great play by Devers to end the inning. Hembree and Poyner couldn’t get it done, Hembree allowing a triple, and then Poyner came in and walked the first man and both scored after the fourth triple of the game for the Rays. Marcus Walden came in and K’d BOTH men to strand the tying run on third!!!
After a crazy bloop over into righty field allowing Pearce to get to second, JD walks, Bogey then hits a hard liner but in a pretty weird play, the Rays turned two. Check it out below ⬇️ Devers then popped out to end the inning. Two on with none out and the Sox score none. What a waste.
Barnes entrees the game in the bottom of that same frame, and has been nails so far; but Yandy Diaz takes him team to lead off the inning. Tie game. The Sox come storming back in the top of the ninth though to take the lead off of a JBJ single, a CHAVIS ROCKET DOUBLE FOR HIS MAJOR LEAGUE DEBUT and then a sac fly for Benny’s 5th RBI of the game!! 6-5 Sox!
Bottom of the ninth, Braiser comes on to pitch. He does allow a single to the leadoff batter, he gets a flyout to RF for the first out, then Ks meadows!! Pham is the only man left… but he singles to put two on. Adames get to 0-1 and… VAZQUEZ BACKPICKS FIRST BASE TO END THE GAME PICKING PHAM OFF!!!!! WHAT A WAY TO END THIS GAME WOW WOW WOW!!!!
Tap or click on that gif to listen to the actual audio of OB and Jerry’s reactions… Priceless…
Final Score: 6-5 RED SOX
- The Bats came ALIVE in this game! Bailing out the bullpen again, starting with a 5-0 lead after a BENNY GRAND SLAM!
- Walden shutting the door on the Rays with the man on third, K’d both men he faced.
- Michael Chavis had his major league debut in the ninth, tie ball game with a runner on. Tough situation right? Chavis BLASTS a double off one of the Ray’s best relievers to strait away center. OVER Kiermier’s head, one of the best center fielders in the game. It was hit THAT hard. Check it out ⬇️
- Bullpen can’t get the job done. After Porcello leaves the game at 5-2 in the sixth, Hembree and Poyner both blow it leaving the game much worse than they found it.
- Poyner did not even record an out, and still got tagged for a run. ERA of Infinity ∞
- Barnes did give up the home run which allowed the game to be tied up in the 8th, he did come back to strike out all three batters after. So its only a half low. His ERA on the season is still only a minuscule 2.16.
Final Box Scores
WHAT A GAME. WHAT A GAME.
OUT OF THE BASEMENT! ONLY 6 GAMES BACK! Best thing about baseball is how it’s played nearly everyday! Today’s game is at 2:10 PM ET featuring what looks to be a really good pitchers duel in David Price vs Tyler Glasnow who is 4-0 with a 1.18 ERA, wow! Stay tuned and I’ll tell you all about it. Talk to you then 🤙🏽
Header Photo Curtesy of Red Sox Twitter